View options for completing your ESL Endorsement
On-Demand Professional Development
PD Bites: A Buffet of Learning - (English Learners, Culturally Responsive Teaching, Engagement, etc.)
- PD Bites are mini, on-demand professional development modules that can be completed in a variety of ways and on your own schedule.
- Register for all modules on JPLS. Search: PD Bites
- In the "course information," the "URL" section you will find links to the Canvas module. Follow the instructions to access each module.
- Once the module is completed, relicensure will be awarded in JPLS and you will be able to print a certificate or see it on your transcript.
Contact Tammy Fulmer if you have any questions.
Book Studies/Book Club
Good professional development should be ongoing and job-embedded. These book studies are designed with this in mind. They can be completed with a faculty, a PLC or on your own. The key ingredient is the ongoing implementation and reflection. Good luck and have fun!
The following links will take you to information that will allow you to conduct book studies/book clubs in your teams or schools. You can purchase the books and implement this on your own and/or you could invite your an ESL Teacher Specialist to join you.
- 99 More Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP® Model
- Book: Vogt, M., Echevarría, J., & Washam, M. A. (2015). 99 more ideas and activities for teaching English learners with the SIOP® model. Boston: Pearson.
- Purchase: Pearson Amazon
- Materials: SIOP Book Study
- Notes: There are several PD Bites modules that can accompany this book study for additional relicensure points.
- Academic Conversations - Classroom Talk that Fosters Critical Thinking and Content Understanding.
- Book: Zwiers, J., & Crawford, M. (2011). Academic conversations: Classroom talk that fosters critical thinking and content understandings. Portland, Me: Stenhouse.
- Purchase: Stenhouse Amazon
- Materials: Academic Conversations
- Notes: There is also blog series on the Teaching Channel that deals with academic conversations for English learners: Engaging ELs in Academic Conversations, Why are Academic Discussions So Important for our ELLs?
- Boosting Achievement - Reaching Students with Interrupted or Minimal Education
- Book: Salva, C., & Matis, A. (2017). Boosting achievement: Reaching students with interrupted or minimal education. Irving, TX: Seidlitz Education.
- Purchase: Seidlitz Amazon
- Materials: Book Club Materials, Questions and Resources: These materials are from the author and are located on her blog. This book was also part of a Twitter book club #ellchat_bkclub
- Note: This author is willing to Skype into one of your final sessions as her schedule permits. Contact her through Twitter Carol Salva @MsSalvac
- Unlocking English Learners' Potential - Strategies for Making Content Accessible
- Book: Fenner, Diane Staehr, and Sydney Snyder. Unlocking English Learners Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible. Corwin, a SAGE Company, 2017.
- Purchase: Corwin Press Amazon