Shelter Instruction Resources
- The Teacher Toolkit - Various techniques and strategies demonstrated with short video clips (less than 5 minutes). Also included are instructions and templates for most strategies.
- The Teaching Channel - "Teaching Channel is a thriving online community where teachers can watch, share, and learn diverse techniques to help every student grow."
- ReadWriteThink: Strategy Guides - "Strategy guides define and provide examples of effective literacy teaching and learning strategies and offer a wealth of related resources to help sharpen your instruction."
- Strategy Toolbox - A collection of strategies compiled by Rochester Community Schools.
Articles, Blog Posts, Podcasts
- Echevarria, Jana, et al. Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: the SIOP Model. Pearson, 2017.
- Fenner, Diane Staehr. Unlocking English Learners Potential. Corwin Press INC, 2017.
- Gottlieb, Margo, and Mariana Castro. Language Power: Key Uses for Accessing Content. Corwin, 2017.
- Hammond, Zaretta, and Yvette Jackson. Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students. Corwin, 2015.
- Salva, Carol, and Anna Matis. Boosting Achievement: Reaching Students with Interrupted or Minimal Education. Seidlitz Education, 2017.
- Short, Deborah, et al. The 6 Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Learners: Grades K-12. TESOL Press, 2018.
- Singer, Tonya Ward. EL Excellence Every Day: the Flip-to Guide for Differentiating Academic Literacy. Corwin, 2018.
- Vogt, MaryEllen, et al. 99 More Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP® Model. Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2015.
- Vogt, MaryEllen, and Echevarría Jana. 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model. Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2011.
- Yzquierdo, Michelle. Pathways to Greatness for ELL Newcomers: A Comprehensive Guide for Schools & Teachers. Seidlitz Education, 2017.
- Zwiers, Jeff, and Marie Crawford. Academic Conversations: Classroom Talk That Fosters Critical Thinking and Content Understandings. Stenhouse Publishers, 2011.
- Zwiers, Jeff, and Sara Hamerla. The K-3 Guide to Academic Conversations: Practices, Scaffolds, and Activities. Corwin, a SAGE Company, 2018.